Motorised locomotive T 478.3101

Motorová lokomotiva T 478.3101

Designation: T 478.3101
Production year: 1973
Manufacturer: ČKD Praha
Type of vehicle: B'oB'o



Motorised locomotive originally intended for pulling express and local trains on Czechoslovak State Railways’ main non-electrified lines.

Diesel-electric locomotive originally intended for pulling express and heavy local trains, later used for freight trains as well. A new motor, the K 12 V 230 DR, was developed for it and it was equipped with a PG 500 steam generator for heating passenger trains. This series underwent a number of reconstructions – e.g. it received an electric alternator for heating the train (reclassified to series 750), recently the locomotives have been re-motorised with the help of Caterpillar motors (reclassified to series 753.7). The locomotive exteriors featured a wide range of colour schemes. T 478.3 locomotives, despite certain difficulties with its combustion engine, were and are well-liked, generally reliable and comfortable for service personnel. They are still in operation, although some have been decommissioned recently. A number of units have been sold abroad after refurbishment.

Summary information
Vehicle type: motorised locomotive
Designation: T 478.3101
(753.101-5)
Owner: Czech Railways (ČD)
Condition: operational
Nickname: Brejlovec (“Spectacled”)
Production year: 1973
Manufacturer: ČKD Praha
Maximum speed: 100 km/h
Constant output: 1325 kW
Output transfer: electric, direct current
Service weight: 76,8 t
Diameter of driving wheel sets: 1000 mm

Contact

T: +420 313 537 700
E: info@cdmuzeum.cz

Opening hours 2018:
29.3. – 30.4., 1.10. – 28.10.
Saturdays, Sundays, holidays
9:30 am - 3:00 pm

1.5. – 31.5., 1.9. – 30.9.
Saturdays, Sundays, holidays
9:30 am - 5:00 pm

1.6. – 30.6.
Tuesdays - Sundays, holidays
9:30 am - 5:00 pm, (in working days till 3:00 pm)

1.7. – 31.8.
Tuesdays - Sundays
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Where to find us

To the Museum by train

From:
To:
Via:
Date:
Time:
 

Did you know… ?

The first railcar was produced in the Czech lands at Tatra Kopřivnice in 1926.