History

The predecessor of today’s depot in Lužná was the Lužná–Lišany roundhouse which was created for the needs of the Buštěhrad Railway from Kladno to Chomutov in 1871.

TThis engine shed was built opposite to the train station building as a depot with two parking spots and an administrative building which also served as a waterworks (although preserved up to the present day, this building is no longer used for its original purpose).

Historie

As the volume of transport grew, the capacity of the facility was no longer sufficient for the needs of repairs services. As a result, a new engine shed with a hall for general inspections and a turntable was built on the premises of the existing depot. Even that facility was soon insufficient, however, so in 1924 another engine shed with extensive grounds, a roundhouse, coal loading facility and assembly halls was put into operation. The capacity of this new facility was sufficient until the end of the depot’s operations at the close of the twentieth century.

With the development of motor traction the depot’s operational significance began to decline and vehicle repairs became more important. In the 1980s a large hall for general repairs of motorised locomotives was built here, as a result of which several original buildings had to be pulled down. Nevertheless, the depot’s operations continued to decline gradually until it was closed in 1996.

HistoriePAfter the termination of operation many associations concentrating on railway history became active here. Their voluntary activities were focused on the depot’s further use not only for regular exhibitions, but also for gathering and repairing steam locomotives and other memorabilia from their operation. Czech Railways followed up on this activity and founded its railway museum here on 1 July 1999. Currently, the museum is under the Depot of Historic Vehicles (DHV), which is to take over all Czech Railways’ historic machinery and organise its operation, maintenance and repairs.

Contact

T: +420 313 537 700
E: info@cdmuzeum.cz

Opening hours 2018:
29.3. – 30.4., 1.10. – 28.10.
Saturdays, Sundays, holidays
9:30 am - 3:00 pm

1.5. – 31.5., 1.9. – 30.9.
Saturdays, Sundays, holidays
9:30 am - 5:00 pm

1.6. – 30.6.
Tuesdays - Sundays, holidays
9:30 am - 5:00 pm, (in working days till 3:00 pm)

1.7. – 31.8.
Tuesdays - Sundays
9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Where to find us

To the Museum by train

From:
To:
Via:
Date:
Time:
 

Did you know… ?

The regular operation of steam locomotives in Czechoslovakia was terminated in 1981.